Monday 20 October 2014

Pulling Teeth


I'm so bummed I didn't buy one of these. Still, maybe a photo lasts longer. Reminds me of the Post Office.

Funny sort of day. Woke up to rain, so rolled back over and forgot about my morning meeting. Watched films for a few hours and eventually, late afternoon, the sun came out. So I decided to bite the bullet and go and submit my visa extension. I either get it or I don't, waiting around wondering won't change the outcome.

I popped it in the box at Immigration at around 4pm, by the time I got home I already had an e-mail saying it had been received and giving me a tracking number! That's never happened before. I was extremely impressed.

Then I headed back round near my old stomping ground of Kagugu. There was a dentist which was offering free check-ups for 'oral hygiene month' or something. In the UK you pay £50 for a check-up, so free sounded worth the trip.

Hmmmmm.

Rather snappy Indian lady who spent most of the consultation on her mobile phone. Looked in my mouth and informed me I needed five fillings and possibly surgery for an impacted wisdom tooth.

Interesting, really. I must admit, I don't go to the dentist as often as I probably should. Which is why, before leaving the UK five months ago, I did part with £50 to put my mind at rest. They were very thorough, x-rays and all.

The verdict: my teeth need cleaning by the hygienist, but otherwise fine.

So, according to this dentist, I've garnered an average of one filling per month since then.

After thirty-three years of good dental hygiene, I've managed to destroy my entire mouth in less than six months? Oh me, oh my!

Must be all the bullshit I'm swallowing.

As a second opinion costs a grand total of £10, I shall book into whichever dentist VSO recommend and get them cleaned whilst I'm at it. But this woman would have been quite happy to 'cement' five of my teeth and pull out a non-intrusive wisdom tooth all in one afternoon. It was frightening.

"Just think about it," she said, lowering her mobile phone as I left.

Still, it did allow me to take some very pretty pictures of the city again. Such a green, hilly wonderland.




(Panoramic - click to enlarge)

Feeling much better than I was, but still a bit apathetic. My in-box seems to fill up faster than I can reply to anything, so I'm ignoring anything that isn't specifically work-related. Sorry to anyone who hasn't heard from me in a while. Just need a break. Back to regular programming soon.

I've also got a friend arriving from the UK on Friday. That should be fun. Looking forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!