Tuesday 27 December 2011

Mrs. J. Green

The following really took me aback. Some years ago, I became heavily involved in researching local history for a book I will eventually get around to writing. I managed to end up in possession of a number of interesting artifacts. Tucked away in the folds of my diary were these three postcards. 

From a personal perspective, they're interesting because they're written from my home village to the place where I was born. Unfortunately, by the time I came along, there was a distinct lack of fine ladies upon white horses.

From an historical point of view, it's incredible that this small village was once important enough to appear on postcards. It's also astonishing that, in writing a letter to someone thirty-five miles away, the only address required was: 'Mrs. J. Green, Somerton, Near Banbury.' That's a bit like me writing to my friend 'Mr. G. Athey, somewhere in Bath.' I don't fancy my chances of it ever arriving.

It's a little hard to tell, but it looks as though one is stamped '08 and two '07. Which I assume to be 1907. I think they're simply wonderful. Click for a clearer view:



 


 

1 comment:

  1. thanks for your post - do join the Guilsborough Historical Society for more photos if you haven't already. David O'Neil david@nortoft.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. Posts are moderated so there may be a delay before they appear. Thanks for reading!